Some do's and don'ts for checkrides

Have a technical question about flying? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Sondheimer, Wayne Pierce

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2925.8
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
COMPLETED KDEN-KPHX

Some do's and don'ts for checkrides

Post by Wayne Pierce »

For sometime now I have been examining checkrides. Either for new hires at AAV or for exitsting pilots wanting promotions or endorsements.

Now this may be a source of amusement to some or taken seriously, your choice if you choose to read it or need it. Even the more senior pilots at AAV still have a little problem when taking a checkride.

Below are some questions about and hints for taking a checkride.

Can I use a 747 on my trainee checkride, I don't like the ATR's.

The checkrides grade you on the aircraft which are commensurate with the rating your applying for. Our system of promotion is set up this way.

Reading and understanding directions. Can I use my own chart it looks better;

Our checkrides, I know some charts are outdated but you are not flying online, with ATC or with other traffic. That is in the instructions. So use the charts as they are and go with it. Everybody is graded the same for the same checkride.

How fast do I fly and how high should I go?

The real world airlines are not tourist rides. They want to get from A-B as fast as possible for the least expense. Fly what your aircraft will do, but within the guidlines of the FAA regulations. For a big example <250kias under 10,000', unless ATC says different.

The altitude choice is yours. If it isn't correct, we will let you know. There are regulations to follow.

All westbound IFR flights will be at even thousands, even those flown above FL280. Therefore, FL300, FL320, FL340, etc. will be valid westbound IFR altitudes. Eastbound IFR flights will be at any odd thousand, even above FL290.Therefore, FL310, FL330, FL350, etc. will all be valid eastbound altitudes.

Know how to read charts, do procedure turns, how to plug in the cappucino machine on the dash.

These are the links to the instructions which are on our web site for your use.
https://aavirtual.com/pages.php?name=Links
https://aavirtual.com/pages/Tutorial/Pr ... _Turns.htm
https://aavirtual.com/pages/Tutorial/Hold_it.htm

Know how to read the CHARTS. A big mistake is not paying attention to the details.

Take off INTO THE WIND and FOLLOW THE RUNWAY HEADING outbound for a few miles at least.

The biggest hint here is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Don't turn in a checkride after you do it for the first time, unless your really sure it will pass. There is nothing wrong with doing it over several times to get it right before you submit it. We are really looking at it. We are real people taking our time to help your AAV career. Help us to help you.

Thank you,
Wayne
Last edited by Wayne Pierce on 09-15-2012 09:37 PM, edited 4 times in total.