Hard flight phase: landing

This is the place for general questions and discussions.

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: AAL1407 KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Re: Hard flight phase: landing

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Rabie; Thanks for doing your video to show what and how you do it. Maybe others will show what they are really doing on their AAv flights.

Here goes a couple of items;

Your flight directors are not turned on, even if you're not using autopilot these should be on as they activate instrument systems you need to use. Your landing speed was a bit fast, almost 170kias. You had full 40 flaps out, I believe this setting is for emergency only. The autobrake was not set, so you burned up your brakes and the tires caught fire. Quite a bit of fuel for landing @ 38,600lbs.

At least you stayed between the ditches and walked away.

Thanks
Arturo Carvajal
Screenshot Contest Winner x8
Screenshot Contest Winner x8
Position: Pilot
Hub: KMIA
Residence: Ecuador
AAV Total Hours: 10583.8
Previous VA Hours: 315
Current Bid: COMPLETED KMIA-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KJAC
AAL1365 KJAC-KDFW
AAL714 KDFW-KATL
AAL1626 KATL-KMIA

Post by Arturo Carvajal »

Hi Rabie:

Thanks your video.

Landing manual is one of the most important skills a pilot must have.

Turning "ON" Flight Director (FD) helps a lot to mantain plane in LOC an GS during landing.

You made a lot of " Banking " going left and right. Try to make smooth and fine
touchs to Yoke to perform a more on the way landing. Also to follow GS trimming
fine and reach vertical speeds around 500 to 900 fpm

You need to reduce air speed to RS " reference espeed " your FMS gives you based on
total airplane weight and airport level heigth and weather conditions. Mantaining ON autothrust helps a lot
to control airplane speed during landing.

Safe fight!

Arturo
ImageImage
Wayne Pierce
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2919.7
Current Bid: AAL1407 KPHX-KBOS
CHART KBOS-KDEN
AAL1037 KDEN-KPHX

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Rabie Zahoum wrote:what i do those days just training how to land ,at least switch off autopilot at 1000FT or 500FT on final approach.
so with training it'l be skilfull. loc, glide, speed, rate of descent, and angle of incidence in Touch down

The group of us virtual pilots whom fly the GFI's, and you know who you are, always turn off our autopilots upon approach ;and go manual. We have a little contest to see who gets the lowest vertical landing speed and keep it on the runway .

Like the checkrides; we are looking at how you fly the aircraft and your skills, we know the autopilot works and are not checking that.

WLP
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3172.8
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Theodore Martin »

So I'll add my 2 cents as well. It's all about the numbers - airspeed, Vref, weight, etc. 99% of the time I hand fly my landings. I think I've done maybe 4 or 5 autolands in my entire career here at AAV. I strongly suggest that during your final descent in the approach phase you click on the INDEX feature in the FMS. For the B737 this will bring up the approach screen which will give you the proper flap settings, approach and threshold speeds for the current weight of the a/c. If you follow those numbers you will make good landings the majority of the time. Those numbers are calculated and there for a reason.

With respect to your landing in the video, I could not see the weight of your plane but unless you had a lot of fuel you were too fast on the approach (as others have mentioned). Typical speed for a B737 landing is in the 130knts. to 140knt. range. You should also try to have a 500fpm to 700fpm descent rate when you are with in 3mi of the runway threshold. Sometimes this may mean you have to descend at 1,200fpm or more early in your final approach then level off a little to bleed off some speed and get to the proper decent rate.

Look at the approach numbers provided by the FMS and do your best to comply with them and you will have good landings.

Good Luck.
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage

Michael Natale
Position: KORD Hub Manager
Hub: RETIRED
Residence: Florida
AAV Total Hours: 3933.5
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Michael Natale »

http://www.flightdeck737.be/wp-content/ ... W-FCTM.pdf

I agree, by the book is the only way. Check out this manual. If you are looking to learn about the complicated systems and procedures of this aircraft start checking out it's manuals. It will guide you to the correct procedures for normal op's etc. Get yourself or make yourself a good checklist and follow it...this will help you standardize your flow so you are consistent. IMHO

Have fun ! :D