Are VAs too strict?

This is the place for general questions and discussions.

Moderators: Barry Theodore, Steve Sondheimer

Michael Blakely
Screenshot Contest Winner x7
Position: CEO
Hub: KDCA
Residence: San Diego (North County)
AAV Total Hours: 3485.5
Previous VA Hours: 0
Current Bid: COMPLETED KJFK-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KIAD
COMPLETED KIAD-KDFW
AAL2248 KDFW-KSFO
ASA915 KSFO-KSEA
ASA672 KSEA-KDEN
AAL2771 KDEN-KORD
AAL1918 KORD-KPHX
AAL1945 KPHX-KDFW
AAL2437 KDFW-KLAX

Are VAs too strict?

Post by Michael Blakely »

There are some intersting disucssions going on over at flightsim.com. There is a group of people postulating that VAs with checkrides, mandatory online flying, equipment limitations, and currency enforcement will eventually become unpopular and fail. The thought is people have to deal with rules and regulations at work and don't want to deal with them when they get home and enjoy their hobby. The authors believe the VAs that will be successful in the long term will provide a community for discussion and sharing of the hobby and a "reason" to fly but without the restrictions. Any comments?

Here are links to two of the stories.

http://www.flightsim.com/main/op-ed/ed427.htm

http://www.flightsim.com/main/op-ed/ed428.htm
Mike

Bid Theme: Back in the USA
Theodore Martin
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Screenshot Contest Winner x10
Position: DFW Hub Manager
Hub: KDFW
Residence: Dallas, TX
AAV Total Hours: 3178
Current Bid: COMPLETED KDFW-MKJS
AAL1248 MKJS-KMIA
AAL1276 KMIA-KDFW

Re: Are VAs too strict?

Post by Theodore Martin »

All I can tell you is that checkrides and rank progression requirements are the exact things that brought me to this VA. When I started looking at VA's I specifically looked for those that taught you how to fly and forced you to accomplish something. I did not want a VA where I progressed simply by the number of hours I flew. I could do that without the VA!

My other criteria was a minimal flight requirement. I was not sure how much time I could devote to the VA so I didn't want one that required me to do a lot of flying if I didn't have the time. One flight a month seemed very reasonalbe to me, especially compared to some of the other VA's.

I'm sure there are those that just want to fly with a group of people with no rules, requirements, or restrictions, but I'm sure there are a number of people like me that want to learn as well as have a sense of accomplishment (as evidenced by the number of pilots AAV) along with the enjoyment of the hobby.

My 2 cents...
Theodore "Ted" Martin
DFW Hub Mgr.
AAV537
ImageImage

Wayne Pierce
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Screenshot Contest Winner x24
Position: DFWT-Manager Chief Check pilot
Hub: KPHX
Residence: San Diego, (South County) KSEE
AAV Total Hours: 2929.8
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Wayne Pierce »

Gee, Gosh, Golly (the 3G's)
I didn't know I was being so restricted by the AAV.
I didn't know that I was forced to go through a great and inclusive training process to learn how to fly A/C the correct way.
I didn't know that I was forced to fly my choice, on or off VATSIM for all my Flight requests and the online fun good times GFI's we have.
I didn't know that I was forced to take a Retro A/C test to be able to fly the A/C which aren't around anymore and that I could fly them with the timeschedules of yesteryear, and have a virtual ball doing it.

I quit 3 other VA's over my time flying on this computer game and have stayed with us here at AAV as it gives me exactly what I wanted to do and have a good time with good people.

This is my 5ȼ worth
Harold Henderson
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Screenshot Contest Winner x13
Position: KPHX Hub Manager
Residence: Knoxville, TN
AAV Total Hours: 3564.1
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KNYL
SKW2967 KNYL-KPHX

Post by Harold Henderson »

Kids can go elsewhere.
Wisdom begins when you finally realize someone else is in charge of the universe.
ImageImage

VATSIM Flight Tracking Info
Todd Meek
Position: KLAX Hub Manager
Residence: Grand Prairie, TX (KDFW)
AAV Total Hours: 2812.3
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPHX-KSNA
COMPLETED KSNA-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KPDX
COMPLETED KPDX-KAUS
COMPLETED KAUS-KSEA
ASA694 KSEA-KGEG
ASA989 KGEG-KSEA
ASA660 KSEA-KDFW
AAL2292 KDFW-KJFK
AAL1487 KJFK-KPHX

Post by Todd Meek »

Well speaking as the new KLAX hub manager, the 30 day rule is just to keep pilots active and not have a bunch of pilots in your roster that don't participate. I'm a pretty relaxed guy so if you can't meet this requirement for some reason, just let me know that's all I ask. I also was brought to this VA for the challenge of the checkrides. Anybody can get into the simulator and fly from airport A to airport B following that pretty line in the GPS, but how many know how to actually fly departure and arrival charts while meeting crossing restrictions altitude wise and speed wise? I feel the checkride process we have in place now is very effective to challenge pilots. They are not there to fail pilots or hold pilots back in promotions, but to point out areas of weakness that need work and usually second time around they nail the checkride so it's a learning experience. My .02 cents is to keep it the way it is.
ImageImage
KLAX Hub Manager
Norberto Rivera
Position: CLT Commander Extraordinaire
Hub: RETIRED
Residence: Sterling, VA
AAV Total Hours: 2667.4
Current Bid: COMPLETED KPSP-KDFW
COMPLETED KDFW-KSHV
COMPLETED KSHV-KDFW
AAL2731 KDFW-KPSP

Post by Norberto Rivera »

I was searching for another post and ran across this one. I thought it was quite interesting to see the repsonses. There is no doubt in my mind that we have a great thing going here at AAV. I have enjoyed every minute of it, even the checkrides I have failed. (yes, that was written in the plural form :P ) I have learned something out of each and every one that I have done and I still have one more to go. The whole issue is too simple though, if you like the VA structure then great. If you don't like the rules, there are no rules requiring you to be flying for a VA when you log onto VATSIM. You are more than welcome to go off on your own and explore the wild blue yonder.

I think the minimum requirements here are quite reasonable and every manager exercises their discretion appropriately when issues come up. We are here to have fun, learn about aviation and make fun of Harold's goat from time to time. I think we accomplish that on a daily basis and I'm proud to be a part of it.

P.S. Wayne, how dare you call this just a "game"??!!??!!??!!??!!??!! :lol:
Norberto "Bert" Rivera
AAV476
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
"I'm not a real pilot, but I play one on VATSIM"
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
"Sarcasm is just one more service I offer"

Current bid theme: Random Airbus Bid
Check out my aircraft pics on Flightaware.
Rey Ramon
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Screenshot Contest Winner x1
Position: A Senior Pilot
Hub: KPHL
Residence: Wilmington, DE
AAV Total Hours: 2548.6
Current Bid: Awaiting Bid

Post by Rey Ramon »

mmmmmmmmmmm......graaaavy!!!!!!!